Wednesday, April 27, 2011

More North Dakota - a post for Uncle Don

What I love about North Dakota (and Montana) - lots of wide, open spaces.  They are nice areas to take little drives in.  Since my first North Dakota post, I've been back to the state a few times, and I have a friend who also enjoys going on drives.  So, recently we went and explored the Enchanted Highway.  Please click on the link to see what the Enchanted Highway is. 

Yesterday, we went on a little trip to explore the Badlands of North Dakota and we also went to the North Unit of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  There were orange cones up, but when we went to the visitors center, we learned that they were open.  Along the way, we stopped at a little store in Manning that is kind of similar to DJ's.  However, they have crock pots on the counter with different food each day, and you can just dish yourself out some food for lunch (and it case you were wondering - yes, you have to pay for it). 

For the benefit of Uncle Don, I will now be more precise about which routes we took.

We took ND-22 North through Manning and Killdeer and on to the Ft. Berthold Indian Reservation past the junction with ND-73.  Then, we took some little country road east, then another road south to meet up with ND-73.  ND-73 then met up with, and became ND-23 which we followed to Watford City.  At this point, we went south on ND-85 until we reached the North Unit of the National Park, where we took a little detour onto the road in the park up to the Oxbow overlook, then we returned back to ND-85 and traveled South to Belfield.  From there, we took I-94 East to Dickinson. 

For the Enchanted Highway trip, we took I-94 to the Enchanted Highway.  We then drove down to Regent, ND and maybe slightly past.  At that point, we took a road west and then another road north (this road went through New England, ND) back to Dickinson.  As you can tell by these directions, I am getting lazy about my direction explanations, and I'm not being to precise.  I am sure Uncle Don can take out a map and figure out what the roads other than 1-94 were based on my descriptions, though.

2 comments:

Moo said...

I'll make sure he reads it the next time he is down :)

Susan said...

Or I could remember to show him. :)